My intention is not to claim warranty, this is more like a feedback/discussion. I bought a total of 12 devices over the period of past 6~7 months and recently I received couple of faulty ones(one 2 node and 1 single node to be precise), earlier ones were really good. Now, I am not in a position to claim warranty on them because I have already cut them open and flashed esphome/tinkered with it.
The issue I see is leaking AC voltage over the isolated parts of the PCB. (Approximately 50 ~70 volts), then the esp8266 rebooting constantly. Initially I thought it would be because of the esp chip itself, so I took a brand new esp8266, flashed it and tested it for sometime and replaced the stock chip with a new one. no luck(that is also rebooting constantly), then replaced power supply with a hi-link one, so its not the power supply (same leak present),I would like to tinker with it further but I do not have enough time to do that now.
The point of this post is to have some basic quality checks done before dispatching from your production setup. at-least some basic checks like voltage leaks etc. I also observe shoddy solder jobs these days. Guys please please be strict on quality checks.
All of my devices are on esphome. (nothing against the tinxy stock firmware, I already have good infra on homeassistant with 60+ devices and would like control everything locally).
a newly bought single node (16A) is also having same issue. grabs ip, stays up for like 5~6 seconds and then goes into a frozen state for 10 seconds… then it would reboot and repeat. PWM on GPIO14 doesn’t help at all. its rock solid when connected through my programmer with 3.3v though. It happens only when I connect it through mains.
I am afraid to buy another one now… feels like a gamble. only 4node and above seems reliable these days.
I did DM my number. Well, I have flashed and used almost 10+ devices from tinxy eyes closed. They are rock solid and none failed so far. What I mentioned in this post initially is a recent development (recent 3~4 months), happening with newer devices, that’s where the “issue” comes into play.
I even wrote a basic C++ code to test the pwm, in addition to esphome configuration. didn’t help. Again, my only intention is to somehow troubleshoot them/fix them, let the company know that a customer is facing this situation, if there is room for improvement, please go for it. I still believe that tinxy offers great price ratio and best community support, so my my intention is not shame/blame.
I managed to fix it after seeing a tasmota config on one of the forums for tinxy single node device. I was initializing it way before it actually needed. will post the code on the other thread as well,
thank you for the help!! I am relaxed now… I can now fix all those devices!